Friday, July 25, 2008

First Post: Stash

Welcome to my new knitting blog! I decided to separate it from my regular blog so that I can focus on other things there.

I think it is only appropriate that the first thing I talk about here is stash. Stash is a big topic in the knitting world. It seems to me that everyone on Ravelry has a stash. Me? I've decided that I want to get rid of my (comparatively meager) stash.

I can almost hear the collective gasp that came from everyone reading that sentence. Hear me out first before you decide that I'm completely nuts, although that characterization probably isn't that inaccurate. I have quite a scrapbooking stash. Do you know what I do with it? If you have any sort of stash, you probably know the answer- it just sits there. I hate looking at my huge stash because it reminds me that I do not scrapbook very often anymore. It stresses me out. I want to get rid of some of it, but then I feel guilty because it represents so much money.

I want to kick my yarn stash in the butt before it stresses me out. I'm not 100% sure what I have in my stash at school, but I believe that I have less than 20 skeins. That's not too bad. When I get back to my apartment and am reunited with my entire stash, I plan to go through it all, get rid of everything I don't like, and put projects for the remainder of my yarn in my Ravelry queue.

I was listening to the Knit Picks podcast with the Yarn Harlot (Episode 58), and I totally agree with what the Yarn Harlot said about stash:
If we think of the stash as like a collection. If we think of ourselves as collectors, and think of this as a collection of inspiration and resources, then it only makes sense to have the stuff in there that you love.
I love this idea of stash as the best of the best. I don't want a stash; I want an inspirational collection that will become projects sooner rather than later.

No comments: