Tuesday, August 5, 2008

5 DPNs

I'm half way through my first pair of socks using 5 double pointed needles (DPNs). I'm still not sold on that method's superiority to using 4 DPNs, although it does have its benefits:
  • The toe decreases are a million times easier
  • Pattern repeats split better
  • The needles aren't strained by too many stitches
  • They make it easier to try on the sock while you are knitting it
However, there are also drawbacks:
  • It feels like it takes longer to complete a row
  • It is one more needle to have to hold together, especially when you are just starting your piece
  • If you lose a needle (or sit on one and break it), you are in trouble
  • They mean more ends to poke yourself with when you put down your project
I think for now I'm going to stick with the method outlined in the pattern. I'm not nervous about using 5 DPNs, but I don't feel the need to use them on every pair of socks I make with DPNs.

Oh yes, I finished my first spiral boot sock:

No comments: