As a general observation , there are very few patterns this season that went directly into my Ravelry favorites. I reserve that list for patterns I know I want to knit someday. There are a lot of cute patterns, but for one reason or another, I do not think I will be knitting many of them. Also, I generally do not read many of the articles, at least not right away, so my reviews will focus on patterns.
And now, on to the specific reviews:
Knotions
I love the setup of this magazine with the tabs for charts and additional photos. It really is genius.
One pattern went right into my favorites: Seaside Serenade by Janine Le Cras (link is also the source of the photograph). I happened to be messaging the designer about another of her patterns, and I liked Seaside Serenade so much that I had to tell her how wonderful it is. I am really looking forward to knitting it this summer when it is too hot for big wool projects.
I also think Rainbow Chain by Erika Flory is super cute. I do not have any babies to knit for, but if I did, I would make this blanket. I think it plus a Baby Surprise Jacket or February Baby sweater and a cute pair of booties would be the perfect baby shower gift.Some of the other patterns were cute, but I felt that the sweaters were designed for mature women. I think my mom would look awesome in the Spring Kimono by Janine Le Cras or Colonade by Jody Pirrello, but I do not see myself ever making them. The sock patterns seemed a little fussy to me. Maybe I'm just in a simple sock mood, but even though I'm a sock knitting enthusiast, none of those socks went into my favorites. I applaud Knotions for trying the new segment on Mixed Media Knitting. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the trend, but I appreciate that they are trying something new.
Overall, Knotions had a few cute patterns, but I think more mature and patient knitters than me will enjoy this issue more than I did.
Popknits
Actually, only the preview is up, but I'm sure the full magazine will be live soon. There are only six patterns in this issue. I find some of them, such as Sugarless Panoramic Egg and Egg Box by Anita M. Wheeless and Take Me to Paris by Brittany Wilson to be too kitchy. I'm waiting to see the pattern for Meandering Circuar Ziggies (with a Zag) by Bonnie Zink before I pass judgment on it. It might be a cute, but I think the pattern gets lost in the colorway the designer chose. I do like the scalloped cuff though.
I think my favorite pattern is the sweater Sweetgum Duncan by Meghan McFarlane. It seems like something you could buy in a store, which I guess can be a compliment or a criticism depending on your perspective. If I ever made it, I would make it full sleeved. If you are wearing a sweater that looks that warm, why would you want your forearms exposed?
Photo source: http://www.popknits.com/index.php/preview/Popknits must share my recent obsession with berets and slouchy hats because 1/3 of the patterns are hats. Greta by Cassie Miller is a little crazy for me, but I think the flapper-inspired pattern is creative and unique. Day's Eye Hat by Kristen Hanley Cardozo is much more my style. The only problem is that it looks just like every other hat out there. In fact, the pattern is very reminiscent of the Springtime in Philadelphia Beret I finished yesterday.
Photo source: http://www.popknits.com/index.php/preview/Overall, while there were some cute patterns in this issue of Popknits, I do not think I will be making any of them. The creative patterns were a little too over the top for my tastes, and the other patterns played it too safe.
Twist Collective
My general opinion of Twist Collective is that it has some of the most beautiful patterns around. However, I think they are mostly too complicated for a knitter of my skill and patience level, so I don't know if I would ever actually make anything from this magazine. I appreciate the way that they compensate their designers, so if you like a pattern, please support this magazine by purchasing it.
I like how this magazine is divided up into stories. The photography is amazing, as usual. Of course, I was drawn to the sock story, Sock-a-doodle-do. I love the yarn color choices; they are perfect for spring. The patterns, while beautiful, are way too busy. They have the complexity of lace shawls. If I'm going to put that much time and effort into something, I want other people to see it. My favorite pair is Blossom by Stephanie van der Linden (link is also the source of the photograph), but I cannot for the life of me figure out why there is a stockinette patch around the ankle. I think it disrupts the beautiful design too much. If I were to make this pattern, I would just continue the pattern all the way down the leg.

I liked the men's sweaters Grant Park Pullover by Salena Lee and Kerouac by Jenn Jarvis, but found the women's sweaters too fussy. I thought about Dulce De Leche by Marnie MacLean, but based on the way it looks a little misshapen on the model, I know it would look very weird on my lumpy, er curvy, body.
The Sleepy Monkey Blanket by Mary Ann Stephens (link is also the source of the photograph) is beyond cute. I just can't imagine anyone ever knitting it. Other than that, I wasn't very impressed with the baby things, although that could be a result of the lack of babies in my life. (Believe me, at this point that is something I'm not complaining about).

For a laugh, check out the answers to Ask the Problem Ladies. I especially liked the answer to the question about knitting more prolifically.
Overall, I was disappointed in this issue. I think that it could have been greatly improved by patterns by past contributors such as Ysolda Teague, Norah Gaughan, and Anne Hanson. I associate them with Twist Collective as much as Kate Gilbert, and their absence was definitely noticed. Also, who does a collection of socks without including a Cookie A or a Wendy Knits pattern?!
I hope you enjoyed my reviews. I'd love to hear what you think of these issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment