Monday, February 15, 2010

W Book


I read the book How to Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward over the weekend. This is a beautiful book. It is about a family fifteen years after the youngest daughter disappears. It is what we would have called in high school English a "coming of age" story, albeit not in the way that you might expect. Although there is a danger with this theme of straying into cliche, I think the author does a fairly good job of avoiding that. I both love and hate the way it ends, which is often a sign of a good book. It is not "smart" in the way that The Elegance of the Hedgehog is, but it is no dime-store mystery novel either. The multiple perspectives (narration, letters, memories, dreams) keeps it interesting. Overall, it is something I probably would not have picked for myself because it strays from my reading comfort zone, but I am glad I gave it a chance.

* Image from amazon.com.

No comments: