Saturday, March 26, 2011

Button and Brad Bobby Pin Tutorial

I recently got my hair cut very short and decided the style needed some cute accessories. I trolled Etsy for awhile, but decided that I could make my own at no cost. I did up a little tutorial. Nothing earth shattering, but it is a fun little project.

Supplies
  • Hot glue gun. Mine is actually a low-heat one, but I think I hot one would work better so that it stays tacky longer for better placement.
  • Old buttons and or brads
  • Bobby pins
This is what I did to make my new favorite hair accessories.
  1. Look through your crafting stash and find interesting buttons and brads. This is a great way to use up single items because you do not need a matching set.
  2. Clear off your table so that it looks presentable in pictures. Not that my apartment ever looks anything but presentable.
  3. Gather supplies.
  4. Plug in hot glue gun.
  5. Do laundry and have a cup of coffee. Coffee may be substituted for your favorite caffeinated beverage. One of those lucky people who eschews caffeine? Have a glass of water. It is almost always good for you.
  6. Get distracted for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to spell the word eschew.
  7. For buttons, put a line of hot glue on the flat surface. I tried the loop, but I found that was not large enough to be secure, so instead I used a radius of the button. The diameter would probably work better, but unless you have extra long bobby pins, that might make the pin too short.
  8. Quickly line up and put the flat part of a bobby pin into the glue.
  9. Press firmly.
  10. For brads, fold over the flaps.

  11. Put glue on one of the flaps.
  12. Quickly line up and put the flat part of a bobby pin into the glue.
  13. Admire your handy work.
  14. Realize that it is 11:30 and you have not done anything useful yet today.
  15. Put your new bobby pins aside to let them bind.
  16. I suggest you find a place away from cats and other creatures that might think they are fun toys.
  17. Clean up your materials and actually do something for work or school.
  18. But first, more caffeine (or water).
  19. Wait a month or so until you have done your hair to take "after" pictures.

No comments: