A challenge has been going around Facebook lately- how many of the BBC's Top 100 Books list have you read? Out of curiosity, I did it, and I have read 32 of the books. Some of the others are on my bookshelves, unread, and some I have never heard of. I also read probably a dozen of these books in abridged version when I was younger, but I am not counting those. I think some of the books will be making it to my summer reading list. I would like to have read at least 50 of them. For fun, these are the books I have read. You can see the whole list of books here.
1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling
23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling
24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling
25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
27. Middlemarch, George Eliot
30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
38. Persuasion, Jane Austen
40. Emma, Jane Austen
41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery
43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett
52. Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck
54. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
56. The BFG, Roald Dahl
62. Memoirs Of A Geisha, Arthur Golden
74. Matilda, Roald Dahl
75. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding
77. The Woman In White, Wilkie Collins
87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
How about you? How many of the books have you read?
PS- As a side note, I cannot believe the BBC would include so many Harry Potter books as well as Wilkie Collins and not include at least one Sherlock Holmes book.
1 comment:
I'm pretty bad, I've read even less than you. Quite a bit less. Found most of the classics dull, dull, dull.
Post a Comment